Family Reunification, Rescue and Support
NEW SCENT CENTRE
New Scent Centre was so named by its founder and director, Flora Mwikali to symbolize “a new fresh breath of life” for those that had experienced abuse and the optimistic hope of a new beginning. The program’s staff help to restore dignity, honor, self-worth, livelihood and a measure of normalcy to girls who have suffered from gender-based violence.
Servant Forge — in partnership with the New Scent Centre in Machakos, Kenya — has carved out a safe and caring space for children who have survived sexual assault and abandonment on the streets of Kenya. New Scent Centre seeks to restore dignity to victims of gender-based violence and help them transform from victims to survivors. Currently, the Centre is home to girls ranging from 6 to 19 years old.
The girls of the New Scent Centre have experienced unimaginable harm. But they now have reason to hope as they receive basic necessities, such as food and shelter, alongside opportunities for education. Director Mwikali and her team are shepherds who move these young children from despair to hope. The staff walks the streets searching for children who have been cast away or lost their families. Their mission is one of justice and mercy.
Current Needs of the Students at the New Scent Centre
- Support Consistent and Secure Food Supply
- Construct and Furnish the Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Building
- Facilitates expanded ICT curriculums and capabilities
- Establish school sponsorship(s) to cover fees
- Provide in-house guidance and counseling services to students
- Establish student wellness and first aid training programs
Milestones, Achievements and Impacts
- The girls live in a home and each sleeps in their own bed.
- All the girls in the New Scent Centre attend school.
- Includes eight high school students
- Harufu Mpya School accommodates students from grades one through eight and is certified by the Kenyan Ministry of Education.
- Generates income in support of New Scent Centre and the school